WIC makes sure that your family has what they need to live a healthy life. Providing you with basic, healthy foods assures that your family is getting the nutrition they need. Foods such as milk, cheese, eggs, juice, peanut butter, cereal and infant formula are made available for your family.
But that's not all. The WIC program also provides many other services free of charge to pregnant women, postpartum women, infants and children up to the age of five. Services include:
- Nutrition Education - We'll show you how to create healthy, affordable meals for your family through nutrition tips and recipes.
- Breastfeeding - Breastfeeding is the best way to feed your newborn. We offer breastfeeding support, education and counseling.
- Prenatal Nutrition - We help in giving your baby a healthy start. Through our prenatal education and food vouchers we can help you feed your baby long before delivery.
- Medical Referrals - We want you to have the medical help you need. Get referrals for immunizations, health care and other programs like Medicaid and CHIP.
- Counseling - Parents often worry about their child's eathing habits. Our qualified nutritionist can give you professional advice for all your nutritional concerns.
- Health Screening - Tracking your child's growth will help you understand their health and development.
WIC is for all kinds of families: married and single parents, working or not working. If you are a father, mother, grandparent, foster parent, or other legal guardian of a child under five, you can apply for WIC.
For more information, take a look at the West Virginia WIC participant brochure:
Check the income guidelines to see if you qualify for WIC. If your family receives less than the amount listed, you may be eligible.