What are the West Virginia WIC requirements for purchasing milk and cheese?
- Milk (whether white or chocolate*) must be purchased in the store's least expensive brand for each fat category.
- Least expensive brand of white or chocolate skim milk
- Least expensive brand of white or chocolate 1% milk
- Least expensive brand of white or chocolate whole milk (children age 12-23 months only)
- Fluid milk must be purchased in one gallon containers unless another size is specified on the eWIC benefits. Two (2) - 1/2 gallons may NOT be substituted for a gallon, two (2) quarts may NOT be substituted for a 1/2 gallon, or four (4) quarts may NOT be substituted for a gallon.
- Lactose-reduced or lactose-free milk may be purchased in quart or half-gallon sizes.
- Non-fat dry milk (25.6-oz. boxes) may be purchased when eWIC benefits specify this type of milk.
- 8th Continent Regular Soymilk Original, Pacific Ultra Original Soymilk, and Silk Original Soymilk purchased in half-gallon containers is available when soy milk is specified on the eWIC benefits. These are the only brand of soy milk available for purchase with WIC benefits.
- Pregnant, Breastfeeding, and Post-Partum women as well as children between the ages of two and five years receive benefits that specify only 1% or fat free milk.
- Does not include: Cultured milk (i.e. buttermilk, kefir, acidophilus); sweetened condensed milk; organic milk. (Participant may NOT purchase two half gallons of milk to equal one gallon.)
- Evaporated milk may be purchased in 12 ounce cans when eWIC benefits specify this type of milk.
*Chocolate milk must be purchased in the fat content that is listed on the eWIC shopping list. Click here for more information.
- Cheese must be in 16 oz. packages only
- Cheese must be 100% cheese only
- Cheese must be in sliced, shredded, or block form only
- Monterey Jack, Colby, natural Cheddar, part-Skim or whole Mozzarella, pasteurized processes American, or blends of any of these cheeses are allowed. These may include Lowfat; reduced fat; fat free; low cholesterol; low sodium; calcium fortified; vitamin D fortified; and lactose-reduced cheese.
The following are not allowed:
Cheesefood, cheese product, imitation cheese, cream cheese or cheese spread; cheese with added herbs, spices, seasonings or flavorings (wine or smoked); deli or imported cheese; individually packaged sliced, cubes, crumbles or string cheese; organic
Please contact the Nutrition Education Coordinator for the West Virginia WIC Program at 304-558-0030 with any questions.