What are the West Virginia WIC requirements for purchasing milk and cheese?
- Milk (whether white or chocolate*) must be purchased in the store's least expensive brand for each fat category.
- Least expensive brand of white or chocolate skim milk
- Least expensive brand of white or chocolate 1% milk
- Least expensive brand of white or chocolate 2% milk
- Least expensive brand of white or chocolate whole milk
- Fluid milk must be purchased in one gallon containers unless another size is specified on the voucher.
- Lactose-reduced or lactose-free milk may be purchased in quart or half-gallon sizes when the voucher specifies this type of milk.
- Non-fat dry milk (25.6-oz. boxes) may be purchased when the voucher specifies this type of milk.
- 8th Continent Original Soy Milk purchased in half-gallon containers is available when soy milk is specified on the voucher. This is the only brand of soy milk that is available for purchase with WIC vouchers.
- Pregnant, Breastfeeding, and Post-Partum women as well as children between the ages of two and five years receive vouchers that specify only 2% or lower fat milk.
- Does not include: Cultured milk (i.e. buttermilk, kefir, acidophilus); sweetened condensed milk; organic milk. (Participant may NOT purchase two half gallons of milk to equal one gallon.)
- Evaporated milk may be purchased in 12 ounce cans when the voucher specifies this type of milk.
Children between the ages of one and two years receive vouchers that specify only whole milk.
*Chocolate milk must be purchased in the fat content that is listed on the voucher. Click here for more information.
- Cheese must be in 16 oz. packages only
- Cheese must be 100% cheese only
- Cheese must be in sliced, shredded, or block form only
- Monterey Jack, Colby, natural Cheddar, part-Skim or whole Mozzarella, pasteurized processes American, or blends of any of these cheeses are allowed. These may include Lowfat; reduced fat; fat free; low cholesterol; low sodium; calcium fortified; vitamin D fortified; and lactose-reduced cheese.
The following are not allowed:
Cheesefood, cheese product, imitation cheese, cream cheese or cheese spread; cheese with added herbs, spices, seasonings or flavorings (wine or smoked); deli or imported cheese; individually packaged sliced, cubes, crumbles or string cheese; organic
Please contact the Nutrition Education Coordinator for the West Virginia WIC Program at 304-558-0030 with any questions.